Tuesday, June 22, 2010

A mouth full of buzz



One hot summer day, many years ago, I decided to put together a back yard picnic for my kids and some of their friends. It was a fun feast of all their favorites; hot dogs, potato salad and watermelon. Yum.

All of a sudden my daughter starts to scream. One of those blood curdling type of screams where you know something is seriously wrong, but you don't yet know what it is. As she screamed, and all her little friends were scurrying around her and I was freaking out....a big bumble bee flew hap-hazardly out of her mouth. Finally, I realized what happened and stepped on it until it was unrecognizable. Turning to my daughter who was crying big, painful tears. I checked the inside of her mouth. Sure enough her tongue was swelling up. The bee went into her mouth along with a juicy, sugary piece of watermelon and gave her a really big sting.

Now, as an adult, my daughter has a terrible allergy to bee stings and has to wear a bracelet wherever she goes. Give her bad history with a bee, I was surprised to see that she devoted her artistic energy toward this bee-themed bowl. It is really bee-utiful.

We hope you will stop by the Nuit Blanche market on Thursday evening to see my daughter's bee bowl and all the other lovely things we have.

au revior,
Anastasia

No comments:

Post a Comment